Choosing your favorite books can be a challenge. I have included some of my favorites, where I put the book down and couldn’t stop thinking about it, or loved it so much that I plan to read it again.
- Great Expectations – a classic Dickens book!
- Memoirs of Cleopatra – don’t let the size of the book (976 pages!) intimidate you… It is a well-researched and well-written book.
- In the Heart of the Sea – fascinating true story that inspired Moby Dick
- The Meaning of Night and The Glass of Time – couldn’t put them down!
- The Girl with the Pearl Earring – loved all of the details and art history
- A Discovery of Witches – witches and vampires, set in Oxford’s Bodleian Library
- The Forgotten Garden – family secrets, a journey, and a forgotten garden
- Persuasion – I don’t know what took me so long to read this book! I loved Pride and Prejudice, but this is now my number one Jane Austen book.
- Pride and Prejudice – I loved Elizabeth Bennett and her Mr. Darcy
- The Tea Rose – Late 1800s in London, a tea factory, a woman overcoming tragedy
- Beethoven’s Hair – part history, part science about the great composer
- Abundance – an interesting story about the life of Marie Antoinette
- The Night Circus – a fun cast of characters
- The Winter Sea – a great story that takes place in Scotland
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – the first in the series and destined to be a favorite. Charming and full of adventure.
I enjoy learning what others deem as their “favorites”, so I would love to know what your favorite reads are. I am always looking for book recommendations to add to the shelf and my “plan to read” list.